Heart Warming 3 Bean & Sweet Potato Chilli
It’s that time of year! Fall is officially over and here in the Netherlands we’re forecasted to get snow this weekend. Winter weather calls for warming, comforting and nourishing food.
This bowl of chili is made with sweet potato for extra nourishment. The sweet flavor goes so well with the pungent and smoky spices. I love eating the chilli with tortillas, but it also goes very well with brown rice. Make an extra large portion and eat again for lunch the next day or two days in a row. It also freezes really well!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated finely
- Spices: Cumin (1 Tbsp), Paprika (1 Tbsp), Smoked Paprika (half a Tbsp), Chili powder (1 Tbsp), Chili flakes (half a teaspoon).
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup each of chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, soaked overnight and cooked together for 1,5 hours.
- (OR 1 cans chickpeas /1 cans blackbeans /1 cans red beans)
- 1 cup (frozen) organic corn kernels
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed small (bean size)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8oz of vegetable bouillon
How to prepare
Prepare in a sauce pan. Start by frying the onion in some coconut oil. When the onion is soft, add garlic and spices, more coconut oil and stir for a minute or so until the mix is fragrant. Add canned tomatoes and the vegetable bouillon and wait till it boils. When the mixture boils, add sweet potato, place the lid and let cook for 15 mins. Stir occasionally and check if it doesn’t stick to the bottom. If it sticks, add a little extra water.
After 15 mins, check if sweet potato is soft. Then add beans, corn and bell pepper. Wait till the chili comes to a boil and let the chilli simmer on low heat for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve with a spoon of (cashew) sour cream, some grated (vegan) cheese and cilantro on top and 2 warm flour tortillas.